EVERY LITTLE THING

Welcome to "Every Little Thing", a blog discussing all 214 songs released by the Beatles from 1962 to 1970....by Daniel Seth Levine.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

#4: Ask Me Why

Written by: Paul McCartney & John Lennon
Released: January 11th, 1963
Appears on: Please Please Me
Lead vocal: John

I don't want to say that it is a bad song (because it's not), but I just never really cared too much for "Ask Me Why". John has a great vocal and the lyrics are pretty good, but it just seems like the whole affair is a little pedestrian. On Please Please Me, the song really kills the momentum and probably should have stayed just a B-Side.
I especially love the bridge, though: "I can't believe it's happened to me/I can't conceive of any more misery" and George's guitar figure behind these lyrics, then Ringo rolls back to the chorus.
Overall, it's a tender love song and a classic track, but in the grand scheme of all Beatle-ly things, it gets lost in the shuffle.

I want to say, just as an aside, that writing about these early Beatles tunes is very difficult. Not a single song, until "Nowhere Man" in 1965, is not about love. So, it gets a little repetitive. However, the genius of the early Beatles recordings was how they varied that subject and injected it with such energy. Since I am not a musician, it is difficult for me to write about certain chords and the structure of a song, so these entries, at least up until Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's might be a little awkward to read, because the main aspect that makes these songs so great is their unique musical structures. I hope this does not turn anyone away, but rather makes them more intrigued to read my writings. Personally, I think it adds a unique perspective to the songs. I hope to see you all tomorrow, when I start with the tracks from Please Please Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment