EVERY LITTLE THING

Welcome to "Every Little Thing", a blog discussing all 214 songs released by the Beatles from 1962 to 1970....by Daniel Seth Levine.

Friday, June 18, 2010

#114: I Want To Tell You

Written by: George Harrison
Released: August 5, 1966
Appears on: Revolver
Lead vocal: George



The Beatles really liked the fade-in and used it twice on Revolver: for the side-two opening "good Day Sunshine" and George's "I Want To Tell You". This song is also George's third - a record for him at the time. (In fact, the only time George has more than three is on The Beatles, a double album where he has two on each record.) 
The song features George on lead guitar, Paul on piano and bass (as well as adding some Indian style vocals at the fade-out), John on tambourine and Ringo on drums. 
Of his three songs, this is easily the slightest of them, only because it's just so normal. The lyrics aren't political like in "Taxman" nor are they philosophical like in "Love You To". George wrote only a small entry for "I Want To Tell You" in I, Me, Mine. Here it is:


I Want To Tell You is about the avalanche of thoughts that are so hard to write down or say or transmit. (As now in this book.)
If I were to re-write the bridge section now however I would have to say: 
Although I seem to act unkind
It isn't me - it is my mind -
That is confusing things 
The mind is the thing that hops about telling us to do this and to so that - when we need is to lose (forget) the mind. A passing though. 
"I Want To Tell You" was never issued anywhere else and was on the US Revolver
You know, quoting George's I, Me, Mine proves what an invaluable resource that book is. George was the only Beatle who wrote anything like it. Granted, his autobiography part (written with Derek
Taylor) is only 62 pages, but he wrote passages for every single song he wrote (save for the few he wanted to forget) up until 1979. Sometimes for George songs, I want to just quote the entire passage, but I have to maintain some sense of originality on this blog.



Also, this is being posted on Sir Paul McCartney's  68th birthday! So happy birthday Paul! 

No comments:

Post a Comment