EVERY LITTLE THING

Welcome to "Every Little Thing", a blog discussing all 214 songs released by the Beatles from 1962 to 1970....by Daniel Seth Levine.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

#51: When I Get Home

Written by: John Lennon & Paul McCartney
Released:
July 10, 1964
Appears on: A Hard Day's Night

Lead vocal: John

I guess when I said that with the beatles was the last appearance of that 'girl-group' infatuation...I lied.
"When I Get Home" is essentially a girl-group song, written by John. Personally, this is the one song on the album I really don't like. Sure, it's not on the level of "Hold Me Tight", but it's certainly not one of the group's finer moments.
I've always thought the lyrics were kind of interesting. For example, John uses the word "trivialities" in the second verse, which goes:
Come on, if you please,
I got no time for trivialities;
I've got a girl who's waiting home for me tonight!
I'm sorry, but who uses that word in a pop song?
Anyway, the song does feature some fantastic group harmonies, but as I noted before, it's not that great. "When I Get Home" is definitely the most forgettable moment on A Hard Day's Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment